The Indian Premier League is the most celebrated cricket league in the World. Successfully completed the 13 seasons now, BCCI and IPL are geared up for Season 14.
The IPL is full of some unbreakable records and facts – which are still unknown.
So let’s take a look at these Shocking and Unknown Facts of IPL.
IPL Facts 2021:
- According to reports the IPL 2021 is Likely to Start from April 11, 2021.
- In IPL 2021 player Auction there will be no Quarantine for Owners and Two COVID Negative Tests are made Mandatory.
- Rajasthan Royals have appointed Kumar Sangakkara as their Director of Cricket.
- Rajasthan Royals appointed Mike Fordham as their New Group CEO
- The BCCI had banned Sreesanth from playing cricket matches in IPL-2013 for lifetime spot-fixing. This year he registered for the IPL 2021 auction, as his life ban got shortened to 7 years, in 2019.
- Arjun Tendulkar’s base price was set at 20 Lakh rupees but he is not picked till now.
- Total 1097 players are registered for IPL 2021 Player Auction.
- According to reports the Vivo May Transfer Title Sponsorship Rights with Dream11.
- Royal Challengers Bangalore had picked Sanjay Bangar as their batting consultant.
IPL Facts 2020:
- The most catches in IPL matches have been done by Suresh Raina – 102.
- In all the matches of IPL, the first match is won by the teams of Mumbai Indians or Kolkata Knight Riders.
- Chennai Super Kings is the only team in the IPL that has not changed its captain. Captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni has been the captain of Chennai Super Kings since the beginning of IPL.
- Adam Gilchrist is the only player in IPL history who bowled only one ball and got wickets on him as well.
- MS Dhoni is the first player to play 200 or more IPL matches in the history of the tournament; he has played 171 matches for Chennai Super Kings and 30 matches for Rising Pune Supergiant in IPL.
- Rishabh Pant and Kagiso Rabada have accounted for 18 wickets which is the most in IPL.
- Anil Kumble is the only player to be the Man of the Match even though he was in the losing team in the final match.
- Royal Challengers Bangalore team promotes the “go green” initiative by switching its jersey to green for a match in the tournament. This ritual has been performed by the team in each and every season of IPL.
- Warner now holds the record for the most number of toss wins in an IPL season. He has won the toss 11 times in 2020. Tie with Mumbai Indians- Rohit Sharma and Chennai Super Kings- Mahendra Singh Dhoni who had won the toss 11 times in 2017 and 2018 respectively.
- Chris Gayle had hit Most Centuries in IPL History – 6.
- David Warner has hit most half-centuries – 48.
- Most Sixes in IPL is hit by Chris Gayle – 349.
- Most Fours in IPL History are hit by Shikhar Dhawan – 591.
- Most Wickets are taken by Lasith Malinga – 170.
- Virat Kohli is on top with 5878 runs in all IPL.
- The youngest player to play IPL is Sarfaraz Khan and the oldest player is Brad Hodge.
- The IPL was established in 2007 by Lalit Modi (former member of the BCCI).
- The IPL is the most prevalent cricket game in the world and ranks sixth among all sports leagues in the world.
- The IPL was broadcast live on YouTube in 2010.
- The IPL finale has been played 13 times and there is one team who has never played in the finale of the Indian Premier League- Delhi Daredevils.
- Mumbai Indians have won a record four titles while Chennai Super Kings is a close second with three.
- Harbhajan Singh has given Most Dot Balls in IPL History – 1,249.
IPL Facts 2019:
- The name of Delhi Daredevils was changed to Delhi Capitals before the start of IPL 2019.
IPL Facts 2018:
- In 2018, Star Sports won the broadcasting rights for IPL for a tenure of 5 years, for a sum of Rs. 16,347.5 crore.
- Every delivery in the IPL will cost the network over Rs. 24 lakh given every season 56 matches are played and every match is played with each side playing all their 20 overs.
- K L Rahul in IPL 2018 smashed a half-century in just 14 balls, a record which still holds strong.
- Mujeeb-ur-Rahman – 19 years, 146 days made his debut playing for the Kings XI Punjab in 2018 and became the youngest player in the history of IPL at that time.
IPL Facts 2017:
- In 2017 was the first time two Afghanistan and one UAE player made their debut. Mohammad Nabi and Rashid Khan and UAE player Chirag Suri.
- Ben Stokes was the most expensive overseas player in IPL 2017 – Rs 14.5 crore
IPL Facts 2016:
- Piyush Chawla bowled the first no-ball of his IPL career in 2016 after bowling almost 386 overs in his IPL career, for 8 long years he did not give the other side a free-hit.
- Virat Kohli in 16 matches has given 973 runs in single season of IPL.
IPL Facts 2015:
- According to the BCCI, the 2015 IPL contributed US $182 million to the Indian economy.
- Lalit Modi, initially pitched a 50 over format tournament back in 1995 but BCCI rejected it but in 2007, BCCI decided to start its own Twenty20 league IPL.
Check Out:- IPL Auction 2021
Some Old IPL Facts & Trivia’s:
- Praveen Kumar was the first bowler who bowled the first delivery in the IPL. The first ball was played by Sourav Ganguly.
- First Run in IPL came from a delivery bowled by Praveen Kumar, it came from the bat of Brendon McCullum.
- The First Four In IPL was scored by Brendon McCullum when he hit the first boundary against Zaheer Khan.
- The First Six of IPL was scored by Brendon McCullum.
- Sachin Tendulkar went on to become the first Indian to wear the orange cap at the end of the IPL 2010.
These were some facts and trivia of IPL. Hope the IPL2021 players give new records that will shock all the cricket lovers across the globe.